Sunday, August 9, 2009

Juvenile Drums - From My Dive Archives!

I was looking for some images to post. Not that I don't have any, since my catalog has grown to nearly 40,000, but its been nearly a week since my last post. I've been busy, most of my images are now stored on external HD's and I wanted something easy. Opening up some files looking for some dive images, I ran across some prepared shots of juvenile drums. These are some unique fish and express God's unique creativity. The drum has an interesting metamorphosis with a variety of changes thoughout its life span.
A few years ago while on a boat in the Casa Banks, an area about 30 miles north of Cuba in the Bahamas, I was able to get some great pics of the youngest form of this fish I've yet to see. I was returning from a dive doing my safety stop while heading back to the boat in about 15-20 ft. of water and hugging the sea floor in order to see any macro creatures that were out and about. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw some really small creatures in the mouth of an opening in the coral shelf(sea floor). I stopped like a curious kid to investigate, a surprise and a treat. These juvenile drums were like little Star Wars space ships. So, I began trying to take their picture. Because they were so small and moving around the opening, it made it extremely difficult to get what looked to be, in the LCD, a useable image. With some cropping to get them to a size that can be viewed, you'll be able to see the resemblence to space ships. As for the rest of the intermediate forms of the fish you'll also get a chance to see why I think it expresses God's creativity. In the adult form a fish that starts with black and white strips, grows a streamer, then sheds it, ends up in what the icons of fashion would consider a no-no, wearing strips and poka dots together. You can compare these next images with the already posted image from February 25th, actually the kick-off post for this blog. It will be the center image of those posted on that Wednesday.







No comments: